Custom-modified products are existing McLube formulas that have been altered to add, reduce, or augment a specific characteristic of the coating. Lead-time for custom modifications is typically one-to-two weeks from initial inquiry to sampling.
Typical Custom Modifications Include:
- Adjusting slip coefficients to achieve desired lubricity
- Addition of visual indicator dyes to lubricants and assembly aids
- Custom concentrates to extend dilution or improve performance
- Tailoring surfactants to substrate temperatures for improved wetting
- Adjusting release properties to achieve the desired number of pulls per application
- Custom Tire Paint fills to suit individual air bleed requirements
- Custom Molybdenum Disulfide percentages for specific heat and pressure tolerance
When an existing product cannot be modified to achieve the desired result, McLube may engineer an entirely new, custom formulation designed specifically for your process. Manufacturers requiring a custom formulation generally have a complex, multistage process or unique application and want to replace their current process aid to achieve a specific goal. We will pair your Technical Rep with an experienced Formulation Chemist to understand your goals, research your process, and come up with a customized solution. Leadtime for custom formulations is generally two-to-four weeks from initial inquiry to sampling.
McLube Custom Formulations Have Helped Our Customers:
- Reduce costs
- Improve finished product quality
- Produce more parts per shift
- Eliminate one or more process steps
- Gain more control over their processes
- Reduce time and effort spent cleaning
- Extend the lifespan of molds, tools, and other equipment
- Reduce assembly time and stress-related injuries
- Reduce VOC emissions and environmental impact
- Improve overall plant safety and cleanliness
- Qualify prototype manufacturing for transfer to full production
How It Works
1. Initial Inquiry
2. Discovery Phase
• Analyze process (results to be obtained, budget, shipping, application methods, environmental and safety concerns/ goals, other customer specifications)
• (Sample an existing product- if applicable)
Determine whether a custom modification or custom formulation is required
3. Design Phase
• Engineer Custom Formula based on information gathered during the discovery phase
• Sample prototype custom formula(e) to customer for testing
4. Testing Phase
• McLube provides tailored application instructions as well as onsite visits if desired/necessary
• Assess results with customer
• Redesign and resample if formula does not meet every expectation
• Customized formula delivery following successful trials
• Continued technical assistance as needed
Things To Consider
Discretion. McLube Technical Representatives and Formulation Chemists will need detailed information about your process and materials in order to design the most appropriate formula for your needs. We understand that certain information may be confidential and proprietary, but the more detail you share with our team, the better prepared they will be to tackle your project. McLube will take all reasonable and commercially available measures necessary to ensure all information provided to our team is secure. McLube may also enter into a non-disclosure agreement when requested by the customer.
Cost. Custom modifications and custom formulations are provided at no additional cost to the customer.
Free Samples. Samples are provided free of charge unless larger quantities are required for testing. McLube may request customers to pay transportation costs and applicable taxes and duties on expedited and international shipments.
Application Methods. The way a coating is applied is often just as crucial to success as the chemistry of the coating itself. Carefully follow all application and dilution instructions provided by your Technical Representative during trials.
Trust the process. Your manufacturing process was not established overnight. Your organization undoubtedly went through extensive alpha and beta testing, design validation, qualification, and quality control before transferring the process design to full production. Designing a custom process aid is no different. Several rounds of trials may be required to finetune your custom formulation to exacting specifications. Trust the process. McLube Technical Representatives and Formulations have decades of experience solving even the most complex manufacturing challenges.
Consult a local McLube® Technical Representative to find the ideal formula available for your needs. Featured products displayed on this page from time to time are for promotional purposes only and do not represent the full product line McLube® offers for this particular material or application. Product availability, including container sizes, concentrations, and aerosols, will vary by country or region. Names of certain products may also vary slightly (prefix, suffix, etc.) depending on your location without affecting performance.
Give Us A Try
Get samples of McLube Products to test inhouse. Ask about on-site trial assistance.
Get in touch with a McLube expert to discuss your process challenges here.